httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: META revisited
Date Tue, 25 Feb 1997 00:08:29 GMT
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > A long, long time ago, I brought up the question of HTTP-EQUIV META tags. I
> > was told at the time that this is a client-side thing. However, this does not
> > appear to be the case. Firstly, the HTML 3.2 spec clearly says that this tag
> > should be used by servers, and secondly, Netscape at least do not process it at
> > the client end (as far as I can tell).
> >
> > Standards-wise, this is somewhat unfortunate - should this really be in the
> > HTTP spec? Anyway, the question is, does anyone have any views? Should we
> > support this?
>
> It makes far more sense for the CLIENT to parse the HTML for META
> since there's more spare cpu cycles on clients than servers, and the
> clients already have to parse the HTML anyway.

And I think this is an extremely good point.  The impact is trivial on the
client side and doing a lot of it on the server side can eliminate the
possibility of some possible performance enhancements that I'm thinking
about, some of them in connection with a threaded implementation; sure,
you have to scan some files anyway, but...

OTOH, just because it makes more sense doesn't mean that is how it is/will
be done...