httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: security bug in 1.1.3?
Date Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:10:30 GMT
I would not call it a bug, just a historical misfeature.

I think the thought is that if you specify a directory as being accessable
(eg. DocumentRoot or UserDir) then the server assumes that you really do
want to serve files from there; you have already said it once, so why say
it again.  If you don't specify any special setup, then you get
"reasonable" defaults.

This is not necessarily the best behavior in all cases, as your example
illustrates.  However, I'm not sure that can easily be changed right now
for backwards compatability sake.

Perhaps this should either be added as a note to the UserDir directive or
perhaps in the security tips document (which could be greatly expanded...
when someone has the time...) with a link from the UserDir directive.