httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "REMOTE_USER variable *never* being set for CGIs" on SCO (fwd)
Date Thu, 20 Feb 1997 02:02:36 GMT
Are you using suexec?  If so, there is a bug in the version in 1.2b6 that
could cause environment variables not to be passed.  There is a patch on
the Apache web site under http://www.apache.org/dist/patches/ that fixes
that problem.  If you are not using suexec, that isn't the problem.

I do not see any reason why REMOTE_USER and AUTH_TYPE should be set to
empty values when there is no authentication.  That would break existing
scripts that, for better or worse, check the existence of the variables.

Are you saying that they are not set even when you authenticate?  ie. you
have an entry in the log like:

alive.znep.com - marcs [19/Feb/1997:18:51:47 -0700] "GET /~marcs/lim/printenv.cgi HTTP/1.0"
200 909

(the "marcs" bit is the username; if you didn't authenticate it will
be blank.)

but those two variables are not being set?