httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: more lingering_close... (tcpdump analysis)
Date Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:08:47 GMT
On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > However, what the client _should_ do
> > is figure out the connection is closed and stop sending.  Then Apache may
> > >
> > > My beef is, and has always been, that the problem can be "taken care
> > > of" much easier on the browser side, instead of Apache trying to
> >
> > No.  It can not.  Write the client that does it, then I will agree.
>
> Does one need to write an entire client to prove that it's possible
> for one to check that a socket is open before sending data?

I have said this a dozen times before.  I am getting tired of saying it.
You don't seem to acknowledge the fact that the socket may not be closed
on the client when you send the data but it may be partly closed on the
server by the time it arrives at the server.

I explained this in detail.  I'm not sure what else I can say.  Discussing
the issues is good.  The problem is that you are giving nothing to
discuss but just reiterating a statement that you "should just be able to
check this" ignoring all the reasons why you can't.