httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: Apache 1.2b7-dev performance
Date Fri, 07 Feb 1997 05:56:33 GMT
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Ed Korthof wrote:

> I tried compiling with the NO_LINGCLOSE option and sure enough, Apache
> 1.2b7-dev (with Deans' patches + my mod_include patch) performed as well as
> Apache 1.1.3.
> I'd like to add a section to the documentation on improving performance,
> describing lingering_close, why we've added it, and the possibility that using
> NO_LINGCLOSE will substantially increase web server performance.  Under certain
> rather specific conditions, it appears that the increase in capacity might be
> as high as 50%; a more normal improvement is around 10-20%.

There is already some description of lingering_close() on the
misc/fin_wait_2.html page; when I figure out how I need to explain more I
will add it there.

I'm not sure that recommending disabling it for a performance gain is a
good idea.  Note that the performance loss from using it should be
completely gone when Apache is threaded; at least using the model RST

Did you try just replacing the timer it uses so instead of hard_timeout()
it sets one for 15 seconds or so?  The only reason there should be any
performance loss is because of children hanging around for longer.  If the
OS properly supports SO_LINGER, that should be able to be used instead
without the performance hit.

View raw message