httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: February 1997 Netcraft Web Server Survey (fwd)
Date Thu, 06 Feb 1997 20:41:02 GMT
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Can we get a timeline for 1.2b7 then?  A lot has gone into it already.
> I'd like to say roll it sunday feb 9, but there's a lot of outstanding
> patches still needing voting.  I'd really like to see my performance
> patches in 1.2b7 because they need wide enough testing before release.
>
> Do we want 1.2b7 to be a release candidate?

I think so, but I really don't think we are ready for it yet.  You have
looked at the list of problems.  If nothing comes up before I get to it, I
hope to have something to help the hanging on HUP problem on the weekend.

There are lots of other things that should be fixed too.  The bug-fixing
has been going very well over the past few betas, so I think it is worth
following up on it.

> At any rate we are fighting a losing battle here, every "review" in a
> magazine shows MS or NS "light years" ahead of us in all categories.  We
> also don't have an NT port... and more and more sites coming online are
> going to be run off NT gateways running Microsoft's internet tools...
> because they're a "no-brainer".  They are the borg.

Guess why they are "light years" ahead?  They have a pretty clicky
interface and fun toys that aren't "the web server" itself.  Apache never
has been for morons.   A pretty config interface wouldn't hurt though.