httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance booster
Date Sun, 02 Feb 1997 00:27:48 GMT
On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> I've been wondering whether patching apache to do the following. On our
> site, we have SSI turned on everywhere because we have very heavy use of
> server side includes for footers and standard format blocks of text, etc.
> One thing I'd like to have considered is whether or not it would be
> possible to modify the SSI parsing and such to provide a modification time
> stamp when it is possible to do so instead of arbitrarily never including
> it when the file has been parsed for SSI.
> By returning a timestamp with more of these documents, this could lead to a
> major performance increase since the pages could be cached, whereas now
> they can't be.

Sounds like a good concept.  Of very limited use on some sites, but
useful on others.  Your suggestions for when it should and shouldn't be
returned are good; now implement them without having to parse the file
twice or shove the entire parsed file into a buffer.  Me thinks that's the

View raw message