httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject [BUG]: "HTTP 1.1 byteranges support not work" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Tue, 11 Feb 1997 01:59:11 GMT

Good timing, or someone gave them a nudge...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon Feb 10 17:33:34 1997
From: alam@adobe.com
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Subject: [BUG]: "HTTP 1.1 byteranges support not work" on Solaris 2.x

Submitter: alam@adobe.com
Operating system: Solaris 2.x, version:
Version of Apache Used: 1.2b6
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem: http://www.annahar.com.lb/htdocs/local11.pdf

Symptoms:
--
I found out two problems of the Apache 1.2b6 server doing byteranges support:

1. the multipart delimiter that I query from Apache server is
        something like --"[3XRGJK45S9KLUF]" (wrong)
   but later on when Apache serve the data chunks over, the delimiter seperate the chunks
are --[3XRGJK45S9KLUF] (correct)

So somehow the "" was mistakenly include in the first case.  Since the delimiters don't match,
the client (Navigator or Internet Explorer) cannot parse the data correctly.

2. The header info. from Apache server is using the syntax multipart/byteranges, which is
stated in the latest HTTP 1.1 spec.  But unfortunately, both Netscape 3.0 & Internet Explorer
3.0 are following the draft spec multipart/x-byteranges, as well as oth
er servers e.g IIS 2.0, Enterprise, FastTrack etc....
We can certainly ask Microsoft & Netscape to support both syntax in their future releases.
 But I would like to advise you to use the old syntax multipart/x-byteranges so that all the
Netscape & IE 3.0 users out there can
view PDF files on Apache servers.

I hope you can put the fixes in your next release since Apache is one of the most popular
servers out there, and we've got lots of compliants about PDF and Acrobat 3.0 not working
with Apache.

You need a userid and password to see files in
www.annahar.com.lb.  but you can recreate this bug by putting any PDF file on Apache server.
you can find a byteserve PDF in
http://www.adobe.com/special/acrobat/PDFS/websample.pdf

Thanks.