httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance booster
Date Mon, 03 Feb 1997 01:32:54 GMT
On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Or better yet, an object cache - make a hash table where the key is the SSI
> page's URL and the hashed value is mtime and SSI parameter locations.  The
> server checks the mtime on each request, if it's not different it doesn't have
> to parse the file.

The way I use SSI, it's almost certain that the included file will change
(rotating banners) from one request to the next. I also have hundreds
of thousands of different pages to deal with. So it looks like no one
solution is going to work for everyone.

I did a test earlier today with the <!--#ssi-off --> patch and managed
to get 25-100% better response times when I was able to mark the end of
the SSI early in the HTML.

Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/
CGI ? how quaint.