httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: ZD do it again!
Date Fri, 28 Feb 1997 07:57:40 GMT

> On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > > Wasn't in the store here when I checked.  I have no problem with reviewers
> > > saying you have to have half a clue to make Apache work.  I have no
> > > problem with them saying it does not include all sorts of gee-whiz gizmos.
> > > However, I am concerned about the results they are getting performance
> > > wise.  While there is certainly a hit due to Apache not being
> > > multithreaded, in my tests against Zeus with the right server setup Apache
> > > kept up with Zeus pretty well, and Zeus is probably on par or better than
> > > MS and NS's servers.  Largely because of the process per client model of
> > > Apache, setting the server up correctly is more important than with a
> > > threaded server because if it is done incorrectly it will be forking far
> > > too often.
> > > The actual numbers are not on the web, and they may have more information
> > > validating their methods in the article, but it looks quite bogus to me.
> >
> > We need a web server olympics - an event where each vendor can spend $5000 on
> > hardware to build their dream machine, tune it as much as they like, and then
> > each submits a set of tests to be applied to all servers.
> >
> > Or if the point is that a server should be speedy without requiring a lot of
> > clue as to how to configure the server and machine, perhaps give an "average
> > Joe webmaster" the task of installing and configuring it.
> >
> > This could be really cool, particularly as an in-person event.  Hmm!
>
> On a related topic, there was some talk a while back about putting
> out a CD with FreeBSD+Apache on it in such a way that it was easy to
> turn a slab of Pentium hardware into a ready to run web-server with the
> minimum of user intervention.

We've done that here; and will make a new version very soon; Essentially
it is a bit more than that; as there is also a mSQL database attached
and some stuff to enter, modify and search that DB. If you check out
ewse,cils or enrm.ceo.org; that is what is on the CD; with of course
an empty database and a null-user interface.

If anyone has a nice idea; I am perfectly willing to burn a few golds
or donate an cdimage.iso. Would there be a web magazine interested in
having an entire web server on their cover ?

Now that WOULD be neat !

Dw.