httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: config/178: Module with server_config but no per-dir config will seggy in set_flag_slot. (fwd)
Date Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:25:24 GMT
>From the fingers of Dean Gaudet flowed the following:
>
>This doesn't look like the complete solution to me.  For example, it's not
>required for a module to use the same structure for server config and
>per-directory configs.  But this substitutes a server config when the
>module config is null.

    I agree; I think the patch is making an unwarranted assumption. -1.

>I think a correct solution would require testing the cmd->req_override
>against parms->override to determine which of these three cases it can
>be used in:
>
>    - anywhere
>    - in <Directory>/etc sections only
>    - anywhere outside of <Directory>/etc sections

    Actually, this is one case where I think a SEGV is appropriate.
    set_flag_slot() expects certain arguments, and the module isn't
    setting the environment up so it gets them.  If a module doesn't
    use the same structure for server config and per-directory config
    information (or at least structures for each that have the slot at
    the same offset), it has no business using a generic routine like
    set_flag_slot() in the directive declaration.  It should use a local
    routine that makes the informed decision.

    I don't think this is a bug, but a logic error on the module's part.

    #ken    :-/}