httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BUG?] Multiple vhosts on one config
Date Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:40:59 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> What's the config look like?  If you're trying:
>
> <VirtualHost ahost bhost>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> You need that patch I sent a while back which you said "looks good but I
> don't have time to test" :)

Aha! Well, if I could have the patch again (or the subject line so I can find
it again), I now have time to test it ;-)

> On the other hand if you're doing:
>
> <VirtualHost ahost>
> ServerName ahost
> ServerAlias bhost
> </VirtualHost>
>
> and it's not working... then it's probably a real bug.

Ahem. We'd forgotten about ServerAlias (blush).

But, now I've conversed with my Webmaster, I realise there is another problem.
He set up our virtual hosts by IP number (though that doesn't really make any
difference), in the traditional HTTP/1.0 way. The problem occurs when the
servers "official" name is not the same as its "web" name. For example,
www.algroup.co.uk is on a machine whose reverse DNS is
clint.aldigital.algroup.co.uk. No problem with Apache 1.1, but with 1.2 the
configuration no longer works. Instead of the virtual host configuration being
used, the "default" config is served up. In his view, this means we are not
backward compatible, and I have to agree. It certainly seems wrong to serve
up the default config when its IP address does not match that of the incoming
address.

It makes sense to me to scan the hosts with matching IP addresses for name
matches, and if there is only one host with the incoming request, to match it
regardless (or at least in the case where the request was 1.0).

If you see what I mean.

Cheers,

Ben.