httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: META revisited
Date Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:52:21 GMT
Jason Clary wrote:

> > A long, long time ago, I brought up the question of HTTP-EQUIV META tags. I
> > was told at the time that this is a client-side thing. However, this does not
> > appear to be the case. Firstly, the HTML 3.2 spec clearly says that this tag
> > should be used by servers, and secondly, Netscape at least do not process it at
> > the client end (as far as I can tell).
> >
> > Standards-wise, this is somewhat unfortunate - should this really be in the
> > HTTP spec? Anyway, the question is, does anyone have any views? Should we
> > support this?
> Everything I've read about META tags (including the nice book Webmaster
> which is part of the Nutshell series from O`eilly) seems to say that
> the web server SHOULD parse META tags and add the contained entities
> to the headers.
> Personaly I think this is incredibly stupid as it would require all
> pages to be parsed for META tags.

That's true no matter who parses them (and don't forget proxies!). And META
is a HEAD field, so the whole page doesn't need to be parsed. And we could
make it configurable.

> Hmm, does the new ssi support setting of extended headers fields?
> Maybe having an "alternative" would be acceptable.

Not from the point of view of having portable HTML, but that may not matter so
much for this particular task.

Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
Technical Director        URL:
A.L. Digital Ltd,         Apache Group member (