httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: headers on nokeepalive connections
Date Sat, 22 Feb 1997 07:04:21 GMT
>Oh, and we should probably decide now exactly how much we want to
>hold back on changes to the source tree.  Is there a plan for a
>b8?  I am very very tempted to say no unless something comes up.
>If there is no plan for b8, it would be wise to be extra careful.

Judging from the number of changes in the last beta, we are almost
guaranteed problems with systems that we can't test on.  I think a b8
is likely.

>Now, on to what this message is about...
>
>Currently, if I have nokeepalive set for Mozilla/2 I get:
>
>	$ telnet localhost 80
>	Trying 127.0.0.1...
>	Connected to alive.znep.com.
>	Escape character is '^]'.
>	HEAD / HTTP/1.1
>	Host: alive
>
>	HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>	Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 06:32:39 GMT
>	Server: Apache/1.2b7-dev
>
>	Connection closed by foreign host.
>

>Note that it does not send a 'Connection: close' header.  I don't
>think this is illegal according to the somewhat vague wording in
>2068, but it doesn't seem nice to me.  While the situation is quite
>contrived (hey, bet I could even make Mozilla/2 send a HTTP/1.1
>request...  certainly is easy enough to change its user agent) I
>wonder if there may be situations where it would be nice to send
>the close.

It is a bug.  Hmmm, we really should be testing both the User-Agent
and the HTTP version, since it would be unfortunate to kill a connection
with an HTTP/1.1 proxy just because one of its users had Mozilla. Ugh.

....Roy