httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject [BUG] Wrong response to proxy request without proxy
Date Fri, 21 Feb 1997 00:40:12 GMT
I committed this, and then realized that it was also bypassing proxies,
so I fixed that as well.  However, in testing I found that a request
would return the wrong response if there was no proxy. E.g.,

   TRACE http://kiwi/ HTTP/1.1
   Host: kiwi

   HTTP/1.1 501 Method Not Implemented
   Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 00:11:23 GMT
   Server: Apache/1.2b7-dev
   Connection: close
   Allow: TRACE

   <HTML><HEAD>
   <TITLE>501 Method Not Implemented</TITLE>
   </HEAD><BODY>
   <H1>Method Not Implemented</H1>
   TRACE to http://kiwi/ not supported.<P>
   </BODY></HTML>

The response should be one of 404 Not Found or 502 Bad Gateway
or 403 Forbidden (probably the best choice of the three).
Unfortunately, I've got a deadline on another project approaching
and haven't found the right place to fix it.

BTW, the above is true of any method, e.g.,

   telnet www.apache.org 80
   Trying 204.152.144.38...
   Connected to www.apache.org.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   GET http://kiwi/ HTTP/1.1
   Host: kiwi

   HTTP/1.1 501 Method Not Implemented
   <HEAD><TITLE>501 Method Not Implemented</TITLE></HEAD>
   <BODY><H1>Method Not Implemented</H1>
   GET to http://kiwi/ not supported.<P>
   </BODY>
   Connection closed by foreign host.

was a surprise (note also the garbage in Allow, but Dean fixed that).

.....Roy