httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: bug/feature request
Date Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:30:53 GMT
Rob Hartill writes:
>I have a need to allow a handler (HeaderParser in this case) to
>return a response code that indicates "All done - nothing else to do".
>
>It'd be wonderfully useful if "die" could do *nothing* based on a specific
>response code, say DONE=-2
>
>At the moment I've got a handler that sends a full response to the
>client and then returns to Apache to call "die" which then insists on
>tagging on another set of headers and an explanation of what went *wrong*.
>For me, that's a bug that I can't work around.

No, it's a feature request, just like any other concept that wasn't
designed into pre-beta 1.2.

If the module "handles the request", what is the state of the connection?
How does the server decide whether or not keep-alives are enabled?
Why does the module need to handle the entire request, instead of just
working like all the other Apache modules?  Have you considered using
tag-team modules (passing state between handler invocations) to achieve
the same thing?

.....Roy