httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: PR#73: add Referrer to errorlog
Date Mon, 17 Feb 1997 01:18:18 GMT
>This PR is about adding the referrer to the errorlog when documents aren't
>found.  The concept is good and I like the idea, but I'm not sure we want
>to change the format.

I have always liked the idea, and even wrote a script for parsing it
the way NCSA does it (see my wwwstat package for the wwwerrs script).
More importantly, it highlights errors according to their filesystem
cause.

>I think one or more of the below would be appropriate:
>
>	- close the report, say use mod_log_config

That is one possibility, but not a good one.  I want to delete the error_log
after an examination, whereas I always archive the access_log.

>	- say good idea but not right now and suspend the PR

I think that is the most appropriate response, though adding it now
could be seen as an NCSA compatibility improvement.

.....Roy