httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Women and the Web
Date Mon, 17 Feb 1997 01:01:27 GMT
>Speaking of names, here's a random question about the Apache Group:
>Are any of our developers female? It doesn't seem so, and that's
>rather an interesting statistic.

Rather depressing if you ask me.  In the Web's entire history, there has
only been one publically-active female software developer on the
infrastructure side of things: Nicola Pellow wrote the original line-mode
browser at CERN, but she returned to England long before the Web became
popular.  Beth was the first to join e-mail discussions at a serious level,
but she has always been a manager-type.  NCSA has a number of women on
their teams, but the only ones I have met are the managers (and I'm not
sure what the roles are for the others).

OTOH, very few people are comfortable working on an open e-mail forum
and dealing with conflict without the softening factors of face-to-face
communication.  Given the demographics of hot-shot programmers, it is
not too surprising that www-talk and new-httpd are devoid of females
(at least of those that wish to be heard).  All the top-notch women
programmers that I know are too busy with real jobs anyway, demand
is such that they get moved into management positions quickly, and
they tend to have real lives outside their work. ;-)

I'd love to remedy the situation, but have no idea how to do so.

.....Roy