httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: roy's l_c perf patch and spareservers
Date Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:28:48 GMT
>Hang on.  Dean is having trouble with the FIN_WAIT_2s, not any of the
>other performance issues because the FIN_WAIT_2s hurt his servers too much
>to keep lingering_close running long enough to get a good idea.  This is
>unrelated to speeding up the code, but is about the problem that has been
>happening all along of connections hung in FIN_WAIT_2.  It is not fixed in
>b6.  Connections still hang in FIN_WAIT_2.

I didn't say anything about speeding up the code.  There exists a tree
of possibilities regarding the source of FIN_WAIT_2 states, and Dean
just lopped-off one of the branches.  If he is seeing more FIN_WAIT_2
states with the new lingering_close than with NO_LINGCLOSE, then the
source of those FIN_WAIT_2 states is not keepalive-enabled browsers.
Moreover, it means that either there is another bug in lingering_close,
or IRIX is treating shutdown/read/close differently than just close.
We should be able to reduce the possibilities further by seeing if it
is stuck inside the TCP stack, in the call to shutdown, or in the
read loop.  If it is the last case, we have a bug.  If it is either of
the first two cases, then we will know that it is impossible to perform
any kind of lingering on IRIX and we can default to NO_LINGCLOSE
for that platform in conf.h.

.....Roy