httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: [BUG] proxy rejecting encoded '/'
Date Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:32:03 GMT
In message <9702110850.aa28676@paris.ics.uci.edu>, "Roy T. Fielding" writes:
>I have replied with an explanation of why we do it, but we should
>not be unescaping anything in the URL of a proxy request.  We need
>to fix this before 1.2, unless we want to do a 1.3.

Never mind, false alarm.

.....Roy

============== Begin forwarded message
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:12:18 -0700
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
From: "Ron Daniel Jr." <rdaniel@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: encoded slashes and Apache

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the explanation of the reason for the handling of %2f.

Digging into things a little further it appears that it was not
the proxy that caused the problem, but the other Apache daemon that
serves as the interface to our DB of URNs and their URLs. (My fault for
jumping to conclusions based on the half-tested nature of the proxy code).

We are doing a couple of experimental URN deployments here at the lab,
both of which deal with older namespaces that will have special characters
that require %encoding. I had hoped we would be able to get away with
a simple convention for dealing with mapping URNs into HTTP GET requests,
but the handling of %encoding may prevent that. I guess I am going to
have to take a hard look at what Apache is currently doing with URIs
and %encoding to see what we can make work.

Regards,

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:rdaniel@lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545
============== End of forwarded message