httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [BUG]: "server-status and server-info can be rewritten in .htaccess" on Irix (fwd)
Date Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:08:31 GMT
>From the fingers of Rob Hartill flowed the following:
>
>This has comeup before, but I don't remember if the problem was
>resolved. the solution is to prevent status/info being triggered from
>.htaccess

    I've been snooping through this, but I don't see a way to do it
    conveniently.  As far as I can tell, there's currently no way an
    handler can figure out the circumstances of its declaration -
    mod_mime just stacks it and the handler gets called when the time is
    right.  It knows what the request is, but not at what point it [the
    hander] was enabled.

    It looks as though something kludgey could be done if the module had
    directives to enable/disable the handler (only run the handler if
    the directive enabled it for the current directory - and don't allow
    the directive in .htaccess files).

    If the handler were given the opportunity at declaration time to
    accept/decline being involved in a particular situation, this could
    be worked around - but that would be a pretty major change.  On the
    surface, though, it looks to me like it would be a Nice Thing for
    2.0.

    Of course, there's a good likelihood that I'm entirely out to lunch;
    I'm still feeling my way around this stuff.

    So how badly have I misunderstood things here?  (Be gentle..)

    #ken    :-)}