httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: byterange comments
Date Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:27:55 GMT
>From the fingers of Alexei Kosut flowed the following:
>
>1. MSIE apparently does not like quotes on the boundary string in the
>Content-Type header for multipart/byteranges. The MIME spec reccomends
>them, but they are not neccessary, and the HTTP spec doesn't say one
>way or the other. If they cause IE problems, I have no objection to
>removing them. Does anyone?

    =~
    In section 7.2.1 of RFC 1521 there is an huge throbbing "note to
    implementors" which deals with this.  It's aimed primarily at people
    writing stuff that will *generate* headers, but applies equally to
    anyone who's going to be *reading* them.  What we are doing is legal
    according to the MIME spec, and therefore according to HTTP.  If
    MSIE doesn't understand it, it's broken.  (Wow!  What a surprise!)
    On a personal moral level, I'd say that they should fix it or sod
    off.  At the very least they should stop wasting other people's time
    with their lameness.
    =-

    On a less inflammatory level, I think we should politely point them
    to the relevant section, say we're in compliance, and suggest they
    fix their stuff.  I definitely think we should not allow them to get
    away with this, at least not without a fight.

>                                                          or do
>something silly like check the User-Agent for "MSIE".

    Yak!  Yggh!  Ick!  "Sniff me, I'm broken"!  I suppose I could be
    convinced this was okey IFF Apache used the results to send a
    multipart in *all* cases, the first section of which told the reader
    what a bogus client he was using.. <g>

    Sorry, but I'm tired of the way Microsnot muscles their way around
    things.  Plus I didn't sleep well last night.. <g>

    #ken    :-(}