httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "PDF served by 1.2bX can't be read by Netscape Win95 Acrobat Plugin" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:37:24 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

[snip good stuff about PDF and byteranges]

> Ben, I seem to remember you were going to contact Adobe about
> this. Did you ever do that?

I seem to remember it was the other way round - they contacted us, looking for
help to implement byte ranges in Apache - I replied but they never got back
to me. I don't think I have a record of who it was, though.

> Someone should probably ask Netscape as
> well. Has anyone tried the Acrobat plugin in MSIE? I'd be willing to
> bet it'd work with Apache, but I don't know. (of course, I don't know
> if MSIE supports byteranges at all - I don't think its required to
> support plugins, since no files are gauranteed to have ranges - if the
> browser doesn't support it, I guess it can tell the plugin that the
> file doesn't.)
>
> I'd really like to know what's causing this before 1.2 is released;
> even if we decide not to fix it, I'd perfer to at least know
> why... Any thoughts?
>
> I'll spend some more time tonight puzzling this over; if I come up
> with anything, I'll let you know.

Have you tried hacking Apache to behave like Adobe's CGI?

If it really doesn't work, I presume (?) we could disable byte ranges for
certain file types?

Cheers,

Ben.