httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance
Date Sun, 02 Feb 1997 08:36:40 GMT
Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> >> By returning a timestamp with more of these documents, this could lead to a
> >> major performance increase since the pages could be cached, whereas now
> >> they can't be.
> >
> >Sounds like a good concept.  Of very limited use on some sites, but
> >useful on others.  Your suggestions for when it should and shouldn't be
> >returned are good; now implement them without having to parse the file
> >twice or shove the entire parsed file into a buffer.  Me thinks that's the
> >problem.
>
> Good point... I wonder though if buffering the file would be less of a cpu
> hit than sending the file out multiple times.
>
> Obviously would want some sort of cutoff (so as not to buffer 20 megs of
> output).
>
> Would only have to buffer so far as the first instance of something that
> caused it to not include a last-modified timestamp, as soon as you hit
> that, you dump the buffer, and then just stream the rest of the parse
> output.
>
> In any case, given the tradeoff, would probably be something that we would
> want an option to enable/disable.
>
> This is probably something that would have to be tested to see what was
> more of a CPU hit.

So that's two things suggested recently to improve SSI. Preparsing "static" SSI
and getting the timestamp right.

Seems to me that what is needed is an external utility that does these tasks
(by generating a dependency file, and a preparse file for each SSI). Run it
once a day (or whatever) and presto. Well, with a bit of support for it in
Apache.

Cheers,

Ben.