httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: FIN_WAIT_2
Date Sat, 01 Feb 1997 14:03:14 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ok, ok.... I'll be quiet...
>
> It's kinda obvious that no one else seems as concerned about those
> OSs without FIN_WAIT_2 timeouts. I seem to be bugging people too
> much as well...

No, I am concerned, but I'm not convinced that there is _still_ a problem. You
think lingering_close() does it - but isn't it the case that a small number of
OSes _need_ lingering_close() to fix other problems?

If it is being used when it doesn't need to be, then that is a problem.

OK, so I've woken up now. I've just checked, and it would seem that _only_
A/UX disables lingering_close(). But I thought our decision last time round
was to only enable it when absolutely necessary? What happened?

That is, we decided that the default would be to not do a lingering close,
and to enable it for those OSes that needed it, in Configure. That clearly
hasn't happened. Why not?

> I'll be a good boy now :)

You have been good. I've been not keeping my eye on the ball.

Cheers,

Ben.