httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: Apache PR#190: IdentyCheck and server accessibility
Date Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:12:28 GMT
Sigh. The RFC (1413) says:

   The server should close the connection down after a configurable
   amount of time with no queries - a 60-180 second idle timeout is
   recommended.  The client may close the connection down at any time;
   however to allow for network delays the client should wait at least
   30 seconds (or longer) after a query before abandoning the query and
   closing the connection.

I'd say a nonconfigurable timeout is a bug, and we should default to the
minimum recommended, which is 30 sec. for a client. The user's firewall
problems wouldn't seem to be ours to solve; he'll need to open up port
113 to make things work. That said, I default xinetd to 30 sec.

--
chuck
Chuck Murcko