httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: [BUG] weird lockup
Date Fri, 14 Feb 1997 03:03:15 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:
>
> > It could be the old syslogd behavior. Its one and only pipe fills, and
> > the machine goes deaf, dumb, and blind to the net until the daemon can
> > clean out its buffers.
>
> Is there something I can do find out if it is this problem ?. Is there
> anything I can do to prevent it ? I've not come across the problem
> before so if you could elaborate I'd be grateful.

The only thing I was able to do was reduce the amount of stuff going to
syslog. On second thought, Apache shouldn't be affected by this, since
it's not using syslog. Only daemons using syslog would freeze when this
happened. The quick check was to kill -TERM syslog and see if things got
faster again.

Hmmm, is there an fd leak (or is this server near max fds for the
process) that ends up waiting for an fd to free?
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko