httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin 'Kev' Hughes" <kev...@vfi.com>
Subject Using the PUT method with Apache
Date Tue, 25 Feb 1997 00:53:13 GMT

	I apologize in advance if this is an obvious newbie sort of
question, but here it is:
	I've been experimenting with writing my own CGI PUT handlers
(in Java and C) so I can use Netscape Constellation and other such
publishing clients with Apache to enable my sites to be edited remotely
(and version-controlled, etc., etc.), and I want to know how I can enforce
basic authentication on the server end.
	I set up a PUT handler via the "Script" directive:

	Script PUT /cgi-bin/nph-puthandler

	...but if I use Script, it seems that the <Limit PUT ...> stuff
I set up is ignored. The server allows any old person to PUT stuff.
	So I say, OK, I'll just check the login name and password
in the handler itself. But I can't seem to find the environment variable
that stores the name/password pair to pass to my handler for authentication.
	The raw request looks something like this:

	PUT http://www.myserver.com/testpage.html HTTP/1.0
	Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

	While I can get AUTH_TYPE from the environment, I can't get the
name/password pair. According to the above, should the variable
HTTP_AUTHORIZATION be set with this information? Is there some aspect
of configuration I might have missed to enforce PUT authorization?
	Are there any plans to write an "official" Apache PUT handler?
	Thanks!

	-- Kevin

--
Kevin Hughes * kevinh@vfi.com * www.eit.com/~kevinh
Hypermedia Engineer * VeriFone Internet Commerce * Duty now for the future!