httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Clary <jcl...@futurefx.com>
Subject Re: META revisited
Date Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:36:56 GMT

> A long, long time ago, I brought up the question of HTTP-EQUIV META tags. I
> was told at the time that this is a client-side thing. However, this does not
> appear to be the case. Firstly, the HTML 3.2 spec clearly says that this tag
> should be used by servers, and secondly, Netscape at least do not process it at
> the client end (as far as I can tell).
>
> Standards-wise, this is somewhat unfortunate - should this really be in the
> HTTP spec? Anyway, the question is, does anyone have any views? Should we
> support this?

Everything I've read about META tags (including the nice book Webmaster
which is part of the Nutshell series from O`eilly) seems to say that
the web server SHOULD parse META tags and add the contained entities
to the headers.

Personaly I think this is incredibly stupid as it would require all
pages to be parsed for META tags.

Hmm, does the new ssi support setting of extended headers fields?
Maybe having an "alternative" would be acceptable.

JAson