httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject getcd vs getcwd
Date Wed, 12 Feb 1997 21:32:30 GMT
FYI: Even though for BSD systems getcd is implemented via getcwd,
     for SysV systems, most of the time getcwd is implemented
     using the popen/pwd method. For some SysV/BSD hybrids,
     there are 2 sep versions: the SysV-popen version (getcwd)
     and the BSD version, which directly determines the cwd
     (getwd). So although at first blush using getcd might
     seem backwards, and we should use getcwd in pref, for some
     OSs just the reverse is true.

     Of course, for the roll-your-own version, we're stuck with
     popen for simple portability :/
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"