httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: more lingering_close... (tcpdump analysis)
Date Sun, 09 Feb 1997 22:58:08 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> So, as you say, it might be reasonable for the stack to not send RSTs
> until the other end has closed. On the other hand, that would seem prone to
> problems - the client may carry on sending forever, and there's really no point
> in permitting it to. If data is expected from the other end, the only correct
> thing to do is half-close (in the real sense of the word - the above usage is
> misleading; the connection is in the process of doing an orderly close). That
> is, to close the server's output, and leave the input open, and read to EOF.
> Otherwise known as an l_c(), I believe.

I just know I'm pissing people off by this, and I have no real
desire to do that... I'm just trying to make this as clear as
possible, in a theoritical way as well as practical.

Let's assume that someone has set Apache up for 5 keepalives.
Let's also assume that a client is setup to attempt 100 keepalives.
As I understand it, the way Apache currently works is that after
the 5 it responds to, it closes it's output and listens to the next
95 requests simply to ignore them, at which point it fully closes
the socket. It does this to guarantee that it not send the final
fin/ack until it's sure the client is ready for it.

   1. Is this, in fact, the way it actually works?
   2. Is this a Good Thing?

My beef is, and has always been, that the problem can be "taken care
of" much easier on the browser side, instead of Apache trying to
"overrule" the underlaying tcp/ip layer. When a solution requires
all OS vendors to "adjust" their tcp/ip implementations or else
suffer reboots every coupla days, something is very wrong.

l_c() fixes the problem but also causes performance hits as well
as severe operational constraints unless an OS vendor has patched
their stack and the user has thusly upgraded to that new version.
What's that old medical saying... "Do no harm".

Is the "cure" worse than the disease?
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"