httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.2b7-dev performance
Date Fri, 07 Feb 1997 11:42:17 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Do we have a list of OSs that properly support SO_LINGER?  I'm trying to
> figure out how I could test that... 'cause I have to run with
> -DNO_LINGCLOSE on hotwired's IRIX 5.3 servers to avoid FIN_WAIT_2 death.
> I haven't tried SO_LINGER because I'm not sure how to discern between good
> and bad SO_LINGER.

The rub is that the timer in many implementations of SO_LINGER
simply doesn't exist. So even if you set a timeout of 10 minutes
or so, this value is ignored and the process will keep trying to
send the data forever. Most BSD 4.3-based stacks have this
failing... SysV4 supposedly has the timer fixed, but just a
plain old bogus SO_LINGER setup.

I'm guessing the IRIX 5.3 has a non-functioning SO_LINGER
timer... it's of that time frame. Also sounds like it doesn't
have a FIN_WAIT_2 timeout either :/
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"