httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James H Cloos Jr <cl...@jhcloos.com>
Subject Keepalive and IE (was: Re: 5 forwarded messages on FIN_WAIT_2)
Date Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:15:35 GMT
Randy> I run with Keepalives enabled.

Randy> I disable Keepalives for Mozilla/2.

This reminds me of something.

When I first upgraded our server to 1.2, I forgot to add the line to
disable keepalives for Mozilla/2, but I did increase the keepalive
timeout from ~5s to 30s.  I later had to reduce that to 20s to keep
the number of children needed under 256.  The net effect was that we
finally had sessions where multiple files were sent.  As many as 20 or
30 would occasionally showup, as reported by server-status.

Then I noticed the lack of the BrowserMatch line for Mozilla/2.  When
I added that, we went for hours w/o ANY sessions sending multiple
files, based on my irregular scans of the server-status output.

It seems IE does a better job than Mozilla at keppalives.  A much better job.

So, does anyone have a good regexp that matches ^Mozilla/2 but not
compatable?

Or -- posting first and testing later -- would this do?:

	BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/2 nokeepalive
	BrowserMatch ompatable !nokeepalive

-JimC
--