httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Korthof ...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Patch to slow down children's deaths
Date Wed, 08 Jan 1997 00:28:03 GMT

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> Mmmmm. I'm not convinced there is a steady state, since the actual connects
> are stochastic. You can average, of course, and the average tends to rise
> & fall rather smoothly over a day, but I see huge & random peaks as well.

This is exactly why I'd like to decrease the rate of childrens' deaths.
It seems silly that large numbers will die essentially immediately if
there's a brief lull; after they're dead, it takes a while to fork them
again.  High MaxSpareServers and low MinSpareServers will help, of course,
but the limitations on those are exactly why we have the 1 fork/second
restriction, no?

     -- Ed Korthof        |  Web Server Engineer --
     -- ed@organic.com    |  Organic Online, Inc --
     -- (415) 278-5676    |  Fax: (415) 284-6891 --