httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: multiple non-IP intensive virtual hosts
Date Thu, 30 Jan 1997 03:19:04 GMT
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure if this should work or not - the documentation has yet to
> be written :), but I tried to have something like this in my config (it
> was 1.2b4):
> <VirtualHost>
>   DocumentRoot /whatever
>   ServerName
> </VirtualHost>
> where and represent the same IP address.  However,
> only actually seems to get recognised in this part of the
> config.  Should work too, or do I need to have

If they have a different IP address than the main server, it shouldn't
matter what it says in VirtualHost and ServerName.

If they're Host-based servers (they have the same IP address as the
main server), then you should use the following:

DocumentRoot /whatever

That's what ServerAlias is for. It lets you give Host-based virtual
hosts any number of names (you can use wildcards, too).

The multiple names in <VirtualHost> only works, I believe, if they
have seperate IP addresses; that's what it was written for, I believe.

Alexei Kosut <>      The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message