httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Host header
Date Thu, 23 Jan 1997 05:06:56 GMT
Two notes regarding the Host: header:

1) Someone asked recently about a list of browsers that sent the Host:
header. I recently came across a web page at
<http://www.opendoor.com/homedoor/homedoorbrowserlist.html> that seems
to provide that sort of information. Maybe it's useful for someone.

(wow; now *here's* a User-Agent:)
Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; PlanetWeb/1.011 Golden; SEGA Saturn; TV; 640,480)

2) As Roy pointed out a month or so ago, we really should be sending
"Vary: Host" when we have Host-based virtual servers. Although the
HTTP spec is pretty clear in implying this is neccessary, my problem
with it is mainly that a minimally HTTP/1.1-compliant proxy will
probably simply not cache anything with a Vary: header (the spec
actually reccomends this, I believe), whereas in this case, there's no
reason really not to.

And, to be HTTP/1.1-compliant, we'd have to send Vary: Host for every
response, even those not based on the Host: header (because they're
contingent on the lack of it, which is the same as it being
there). Even if the server isn't configured to use any Host-based
servers explictly (since Apache will allow *any* of its virtual
servers to be called by a request to the main server with a Host:
header).

Anyone have any ideas? We should solve this before 1.2.0.