httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: ROUS' and IRC as a development environment
Date Sun, 12 Jan 1997 23:58:34 GMT
On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> I think there have been several suggestions like this.  But I think
> it's a bad idea, mainly cuz of:

I'd tend to agree, for different reasons. As someone who used to be an
IRC addict, and who helped develop software and policy for one of the
currently major IRC "networks" (DALnet, if anyone cares), I'd have to
say that what chats are generally good for
are... well... chatting. It's fun just to talk to people, but I don't
think it's particuarly effective in getting things done.

All things considered, I think email is quite possibly the best
solution. It's quick and easy, is logged and reviewable, and is not
time sensitive - I can send an email now, even though people in Europe
are likely asleep, and they can read it when they wake up. It's hard
to get that on IRC without spending a lot of time online (and I used
to).

Or, to put this another way: I used to waste time chatting. Now I
waste time coding Apache. Which is most beneficial to the Apache
Group? Probably the latter ;)