httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: cvs sanity check
Date Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:26:09 GMT
On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Just to check before I blow something...
>
> I'm working with the RELEASE_1_1_X branch. I'm about to tag that
> branch with:
>
> cvs tag RELEASE_1_1_2
>
> This should only apply to the RELEASE_1_1_X branch, no?

Same difference. cvs tag will create the tag and place it on the
versions of the files you're tagging. If some of those tags happen to
be branched files, the tag really doesn't care. In other words, if I
check out the RELEASE_1_1_2 tag, I will be checking out in the
RELEASE_1_1_x branch, because all the versions the RELEASE_1_1_2 tag
encompasses are in that branch.

As someone else pointed out, branches and tags don't really
exist. They're just a convenient way of organizing RCS version
numbers.