httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: nph- deprecation
Date Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:32:53 GMT
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 rasmus@lerdorf.on.ca wrote:

> "easily ask anyone" is relative.  You have to remember that there are
> now over 250,000 individual sites out there running Apache.  Imagine getting
> a message from every one of them asking why something doesn't compile.
> Obviously you won't get that many, and in my case only a small fraction of
> these sites use mod_php.  However, even a small fraction of 250,000 is a
> hell of a lot of sites.  I get messages about every conceivable version
> of Apache that has ever existed.  Yes, I tell them to upgrade, but I would
> much prefer not to have to do so.  And some sites don't want to upgrade
> because they have added custom hacks, or because whatever version they
> happen to have works and they are afraid of changing anything.
>
> I don't think it would be too much to ask to have an API version number
> text file somewhere.  Everytime something in the API changes, you bump
> the version number and add a line to this file indicating what was changed
> to cause the module number bump.  If CVS can do this for us, great.

*shrug* CVS has all the information. I just spent ten minutes and
generated http://dev.apache.org/mmn.txt, which lists all the times
MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER has changed, and the change which prompted the
change to MMN. Note that there are API changes in the middle, and
these are not listed. However, note that between every release where
anything did change, MMN has been changed - and I am quite sure that
anyone using the -dev releases can be told to upgrade.

But this list is unneccessary. CVS can tell you exactly what you want
to know, without any knowledge of MMN. Let's say you want a module to
use TAKE12 for one of its directives, but also work in previous
versions of Apache. You examine the CVS logs, and determine that
TAKE12 was added on October 8, 1996. You then simply put the following
into your source file:

#if (MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER >= 19961008)

It doesn't matter that there is no precise version where MMN is
19961008. However, 1.2b1 is 19961125 and 1.1.1 is 19960526, and
19961008 lies in between. You never had to know the precise MMN
numbers that actually existed.