httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: nph- deprecation
Date Fri, 10 Jan 1997 02:17:35 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Jason S. Clary wrote:

> Hmm, I would think a select loop like this would make more sense in the first
> place.. it
> negates the need for buffering and gives you the chance to give up cycles or
> do whatever else might need to be done.  Hmm, I think a lot of CGI's could use
> non-buffered IO but I don't see why any would need buffered IO...  Sounds like
> a perfectly good solution, actualy.

They all need buffered IO. For chunking. With HTTP/1.1, all CGI output
is chunked (unless the client sends Connection: close). This is my
real concern with this. If you truly do unbuffered writing, you get
one byte chunks - five bytes of overhead for one byte of data is
hardly efficient. OTOH, it is certainly reasonable to flush the buffer
(which generates a chunk) when the CGI does the same. There really
should be an rflush() function, though - a module shouldn't access the
BUFF stream directly.