httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Header Parse API
Date Sat, 04 Jan 1997 17:36:06 GMT
On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> But it does require everything to be recompiled... one thing I mentioned a
> while back is that if the module structure included a size field then it
> would be possible to keep binary compatibility while increasing the number
> of callbacks.  During initialization when the module list is collected
> just allocate new structures of the appropriate current size with NULL
> vectors for whatever was missing.

However, everything needs to be recomiled anyway. Although pretty
much, a module written for 0.8.0 is source-compatible (though not if
it used POST/PUT) with 1.2, it sure as heck isn't
binary compatible. In fact, it won't even load (you'll get a "module
'mod_whatever,c' is not compatible with this version of Apache"
notice).

Backwards and forwards binary compatibility is something I was
planning for 2.0.

Actually, in terms of the module structure itself, I'd like to see the
current system replaced with something someone (I think it was Randy)
proposed a year or so ago. Which is instead of having a structure that
the module writer has to manually fill in with all the slots, instead
just have a single "module setup" function that's called when the
module is first loaded, and which calls other functions which add API
hooks. Something like:

void setup_example_module (void) {
    add_translate_function(translate_example);
    add_command_record(&example_cmds);
    add_logger_function(log_example_transaction);
}

and so forth. Seems vaugly like a good idea. *shrug*