httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: function prototypes
Date Thu, 02 Jan 1997 01:33:51 GMT
On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> So, on the subject of mod_perl and breaking rules how many points do I
> lose (assuming I have any to lose) with this..

Well, as far as I know, all mod_perl does is - in a general sense -
let you write modules in Perl. As long as mod_perl itself doesn't
break any API rules, it's impossible to break them from the Perl
script.

OTOH, there are a number of styles and 'traditions' that most Apache
modules tend to use, which a module or a mod_perl handler could
certainly not use.

> MSIE + mod_negotiation.c are a pain in the ass on this issue and I've
> got too many rabid MSIE users moaning about the 406 responses. My reading
> of an April draft of 1.1 suggest I can do this, but mod_negotiation prefers
> to offer a menu of choices rather than pick a default.

As long as it throws in a Vary header, server-driven negotiation can
do whatever it wants, and still be to the 1.1 spec. Situations like
these should probably be more customizable in mod_negotiation. Why
MSIE in particular, anyhow?

> Also, is a module allowed to change r->filename, refresh r->finfo then
> return DECLINED so that other modules can play with the request. Or have
> I broken another rule ? :-)

Not really. Depends which API phase. I mean, the access, fixups and
logging phases run through all the modules regardless of whether they
return OK or DECLINED (anything will signal an error, of course), and
the MultiViews code sort of cheats in this regard, similar to what
your description is (although in a different sort of way).

At any rate, I would say that doing this is not breaking a rule,
although it does mean you have to be more careful about the ordering
of modules.