httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Patch for read timeout
Date Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:53:40 GMT

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Ed Korthof wrote:
> A day or two ago we discussed a patch for a new read tiemout as
> appropriate for the next release.  This patch does that, setting the
> default value to 180.
>
> The directive is TimeoutRead, and operates like Timeout.  How does this
> look?

Is it the amount of time in between read packets, or the total amount of time
to receive a request after the first bits of data are received?  If should be
the former in my opinion - folks expecting a lot of submitted POST or PUT data
would have a large TimeOut but a conservative TimeOutRead, whereas the rest of
us would have both be conservative.

Yes, Dean, a threaded server ameliorates the need for this, so long as spare
threads are cheap, but doesn't make it moot.  How many 64K-in-memory threads
does it take to start a denial of service attack? 1000 on a moderate-memory
machine?  Sure it takes a lot longer than currently, but the need is still
there it would seem to me.

Didn't someone also submit a patch reducing the default timeout from 1200 to
180 or something?  +1 to that.

	Brian