httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: Finish 1.2!
Date Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:58:58 GMT
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> It's the client TCP stack never sending a final FIN. The people moaning are
> ones who can't set a timeout for FIN_WAIT_2 in their kernels (BSDI users who
> don't have kernel source, and SunOS so far, but RobH's biting the bullet and
> dealing with it). I just took yet another look at our internal Apache proxy,
> and every single FIN_WAIT_2 connect is from a WIN95 box. Not Solaris, not
> IRIX, not Linux, not FreeBSD, not BSDI, not WinNT, and not Win3.1 running
> Trumpet Winsock. Yes, we run all those here.

OK if it is win95, I fear there may be some data timing issue here that
tweaks a buggy 95 stack.  Add choice #3, and this one would be really
hard to trace down.  This is a bug for someone with a good pair of hip
boots...

Chuck - one question -
  Are those permanently connected win95 boxes or are they dial-up users?

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick, Technical Consultant
Steam Tunnel Operations