httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: Patch to slow down children's deaths
Date Tue, 07 Jan 1997 23:20:42 GMT
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Ed Korthof wrote:

> A while ago, I posted about the rate at which children die.  It's
> basically immediate, and children die until we're down to MaxFreeServers;
> this interfears with StartServers for large web sites, since
> StartServers > MaxFreeServers (as is reasonable) means the following
> occurs:

I think apache should print a warning, since these values conflict with
each other in a logic sense to me and aparently apache does not like it
either.

Also can someone explain why a large start servers is better than letting
apache start more as the load rises?  I would think you simply trade off a
few seconds of unavaliablity at startup for a slightly higher latency on
http requests untila steady state is reached.

--
Cliff Skolnick, Technical Consultant
Steam Tunnel Operations