httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@steam.com>
Subject Re: Problems w/ deny
Date Tue, 07 Jan 1997 02:47:29 GMT

The nasty tools that lock up web server use SYN attacks.  Since the SYN
attack takes place before the TCP three way handshake is complete, the
application will not even know about it.  Protecting against SYN attacks
is pretty hard, and even those that say they do actually only make a lame
attempt and stop some but not all.  As for firewalls any good SYN bomb
uses rotating IP source addresses, so not much good.  This is a real
problem that can not be solved 100%, except by changing TCP.

All the above aside, the idea to limit the number of connections to a
single host is good.  It could really lessen the risks of broken browsers
and evil robots. As for including it, I don't think the denial of service
argument is enough to include it in 1.2, next release is better IMHO.
Anyone who needs to lock out an attack really has to do it at the
firewall, not in each application.

How about a "late-patch" directory for stuff that just missed the 1.2
cutoff that is useful and will be included in the next release?

--
Cliff Skolnick, Technical Consultant
Steam Tunnel Operations