httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: Agenda for 1.2b7
Date Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:50:38 GMT
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <> you wrote:
> [...]
> > Should be done before 1.2b7:
> [...]
> >   * mod_rewrite is incorrectly rewriting things in 1.2b6 from
> >     /cgi-bin/whatever?parms      to...     /http?parms
> Have I missed a CVS commit posting or why was mod_rewrite again changed?  You

It was changed along with most other things with my large buffer overflow

> know that I incorporate all changes into the official mod_rewrite distribution
> to be able to bring mod_rewrite 2.4 into Apache the next time.  Hmmm..
> This time it is not nice because the changes broke mod_rewrite in the 1.2b6
> release and I received three bugreports today. And now I discovered that the
> used mod_rewrite is not my version. Instead the users used the broken one.
> Hmmmm... I would really prefer if the Apache Group will ask me to patch
> mod_rewrite.c myself so I could avoid to monitor the CVS commit messages and
> being not longer one step behind.

The problem is that if there are a dozen modules distributed with apache
and each one is maintained by someone, getting anything done is quite
difficult.  There is also the problem of conflicting release schedules.
We are _supposed_ to be getting ready for a release, which would seem to
indicate that we can't just be incorporating new versions of modules all
the time.

> What is the status of the current snprintf/strncpy patches for mod_rewrite?

They were done along with the other changes between b4 and b5.  The
patches were posted at least three times to the list.  The changes made do
_not_ directly fit back into 1.1 because they need ap_snprintf.  You can
ifdef around that though I guess.  There is currently a bug as posted, and
I'm waiting for a couple of +1s to my fix before I commit it.

I'm not trying to discourage you from maintaining the module or discourage
it from being distributed with Apache, but there are problems with this

View raw message