httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: linger/FIN_WAIT_2/etc
Date Fri, 24 Jan 1997 23:58:17 GMT
There is mention now, Roy just added it.

It is just a general cleanup so the code is more readable and all (I
think) the little things that the long rambling discussion brought up
which could be hurting things.

Note that:
	- some number of FIN_WAIT_2s are normal, especially with
	  Netscape being a broken bit of junk.
	- we still do not know for sure the cause of the problems.  I
	  am beginning to think it is a bug or feature that we can not
	  work around and still have lingering_close.
	- I am planning on putting together a more detailed web page
	  with all vendor patches I can find and talk a bit about the
	  workarounds (eg. NO_LINGCLOSE) and the side effects that
	  using them has.

So yes, they were meant to do something but not necessarily fix them.
At least now there are a few people who have a reasonable
understanding of that bit of code.  Sigh.