httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: FIN_WAIT_2 and Netscape Commerce Server
Date Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:06:25 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >

> > Lots of FIN_WAIT_2s.
>
> I'm beginning to think that FIN_WAIT_2s associated with 1.2 are artefacts,
> caused by people actually looking at the netstat because they've just upgraded.

No.  Some FIN_WAIT_2s are normal.  As long as they aren't more than around
2*ESTABLISHED there isn't really too much to worry about; some of them are
actually just connections closing, some are leftovers.  However, pepole
with the problem are seeing thousands and thousands of them, and their box
simply will not keep running for more than a day or two before it crashes.
They would notice if that was happening with 1.1.x.

> Presumably disabling keepalive would remove the vast majority of these?

I have seen no one say that disabling keepalives helps, and I have asked.