httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject FIN_WAIT_2
Date Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:18 GMT
I suggest that we send out the below questions to people who are having
trouble with FIN_WAIT_2 to try to get some more data.  If anyone has
anything else to suggest they try, please speak up.  Unless there are
objections, I plan to gather a list of addresses of people that are having
problems and mail this off to them.  If you have any people to add to this
list, please let me know.

I managed to reproduce the FIN_WAIT_2 w/Win95 client one time on a test
server across the ethernet, but couldn't repeat it once I got tcpdump
running.  If anyone can reproduce this at will, tcpdump output from the
connection which hangs in FIN_WAIT_2 state could help.

What OS and version are you using?

Does the problem happen with Apache 1.1.1?  Please check carefully to
be sure of your answer; some number of connections in FIN_WAIT_2 are
normal and are nothing new; it is when large numbers start appearing that
they being to cause trouble.

What negative results do the connections in FIN_WAIT_2 have on your box?

What sort of traffic does the server handle?

Try adding "-DNO_LINGCLOSE" to the EXTRA_CFLAGS in the Makefile and
rebuilding.  Does this help?

Do you have a SendBufferSize directive in your config file?

Does disabling keepalives ('KeepAlive 0') help?

Do you have any idea what OS and browser the remote systems involved with
the FIN_WAIT_2s are running?

Does replacing the http_main.c from a recent 1.2 beta with the one at
http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/ap/http_main.c help?  (This version is not
really suitable or desirable for running long term, but for testing
purposes it should work fine and has many of the changes between 1.1.1 and
1.2 hacked out.)